Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blog Post # 8

The definition of dream

Richard E. Miller of Rutgers University explains through his videos how the way we learn and the way we are taught are changing rapidly. He talks about going from the typical reading/writing concepts to a listening/watching way of learning. My husband has a hard time realizing that learning through technology is replacing the regular textbook and pen/paper way. He says what I'm sure many others do, "I did just fine listening to lectures and writing."  He automatically thinks of video games and mindless internet searches as using technology. But I'm bound to show him the awesomeness of the internet.

I showed him the part in Richards video about how the same book that sitting unused on the library shelf is getting shared in every way possible on the internet. I had never myself thought about the infinite ways of sharing things online. Collaborative work is something I have high hopes for in my classroom. Sometimes the wrong people get in a group together, but once the right ones work together magic happens. I think working together with your peers is one of the best ways to learn.

I like his idea of pushing ideas into our culture. I feel so many people have no idea what's out there. Many teachers feel they are too old to learn all these new ways to teach. They have it set in their mind that there is only one way to do it. So sometimes pushing is what we have to do, so that others can see the new way to teach the children. I feel we are giving them a gift in preparing them because the world is changing so rapidly.

Carly's Post
In Carly's post she shows how imperative it is that we dig deeper in our quest for knowledge. Sometimes all we need to do is dig deep and the answers fall in place. This goes in hand with figuring out what your philosophy shall be. In Carly's assignment the students were to put together a YouTube playlist with all the aspects of what you want for your future classroom, and your future students. Getting a student to think about this, and actually do it can lead to some fantastic ideas about what that student truly wants for her classroom. This is a creative way to use multimedia to write out your views and beliefs on what you want out of being a teacher.

The Chipper Series
The video was the classic "I want the easy way out" scenario.  It featured Chipper, a college student who didn't like how her teacher was teaching so she drops out of school. Only to go out in the world and fail with many jobs. She even tried to start her own school and allow her own students the easy way out by letting them come to school only when they wanted. In the end, Chipper came back to the University and got her masters after realizing she had to work hard to accomplish her goals. These types of videos are a great way to get the message out about hard work. I hope to make some videos like these with the special project group I'm involved with. Students sometimes want things handed to them without them doing anything. I believe with the right tools and mentors any student can accomplish anything.

EDM310 is Different
This video was so funny to me! They were so dramatic and great. They acted out scenes where they were so upset about the amount of work they had and they didn't quite understand how to use the resources. But in the end they learned how to use the sites and it made their lives much easier. I agree that this class was overwhelming at first, because everything was so new to me. But you always have to push through, and stay ahead and it will be fine. Don't procrastinate! I need to learn how to not do that myself, it's a tough habit to break.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
Something about this video excited me so much! Maybe it because I will be a part of the giant change that is taking place before our eyes. I am so excited and ready because this practically history taking place. To think of how much education will grow yearly is mind blowing. I love knowing that I can interact with teachers from around the globe, and learn new ways to reach my students. I love to believe that one day soon we can let students flourish according to their own strengths and not allow them to get behind because they are not "good enough" for a particular lesson. I can't wait to be a teacher.

Web 2.0.12 Scavenger Hunt
For our new social media site to find, I chose Edmodo. And I'd like to personally thank you for getting me hooked on yet another site! I have looked at this before but never dug around and wow is it amazing! This site makes it beyond easy to find information to related topics all while being able to share and talk to other teachers. It even shows you the other teachers teaching that topic at the moment. This site has a planner on it to plan out lessons, and add new stuff that you find in the site. Also, you can upload from google right from the site. This is wonderful for collaborating with teacher and sharing viable resources. I will actually show this to my 3rd grader for any future homework help, and it will be added to our Symbaloo.

PhotoPeach

This is a great site to use if you have a class blog. This site allows you to set up slide shows for the students to view, and also provides quizzes for the children to do. I posted about virtual field trips a few posts back and this would totally work for that idea. You can search just about anything on here to add to a blog or you can easily make one yourself. I will be using this for sure. I love new sites like this.


3 comments:

  1. "My husband has a hard time realizing that learning through technology is replacing the regular textbook and pen/paper way. He says what I'm sure many others do, 'I did just fine listening to lectures and writing.' He automatically thinks of video games and mindless internet searches as using technology. But I'm bound to show him the awesomeness of [technology]." Let me know how successful you are!

    "I hope to make some videos like these with the special project group I'm involved with. " Project 16 perhaps?

    "I hope to make some videos like these with the special project group I'm involved with. " You are welcome!

    Thorough, Thoughtful, Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot. You are already doing project 16. But you could still do the video!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post. You did a great job of summarizing each part. I also liked how you applied what you had learned with your husband.

    ReplyDelete