Thursday, March 21, 2013

Blog Post #9

Say's first year teach Mr. McClung's Reflection

Mr. McClung wrote a reflection after his fourth year as a teacher and he clearly was struggling emotionally. He stated how he had a high level of anxiety over what his fellow teachers thought about him, and his teaching style. I can totally relate to this. I can see my self being this way also because I feel when you're a new teacher it can be intimidating measuring up to veteran teachers. Just the feeling like you are being judged, and watched like a hawk. I'm even afraid of starting my student teaching because I have tendencies to be shy sometimes.

But, I do have faith in myself because I know this is what I'm supposed to do. Mr. McClung realized that the only thing important was knowing his students were having fun and thriving. He explains how it can get boring teaching the same information in the same way year after year. It is important to challenge yourself to think of new ways to make it fun and interesting for students and you the teacher. He got the chance to teach a new subject and it sparked his motivation up again to be a great and fun teacher.

Mr. McClung's First Year
If your plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters. Stay cool
I wanted to read about how his first year went mostly to compare it to his fourth, but also because I have anxiety about my first year teaching. I wanted to see how his went and what he learned. He was like most first year teachers in he didn't know what to expect. We will be known as " that new teacher" and all eyes will be on us (at least in our mind). But, hopefully I will leave the college life with much more confidence because I love what I'm doing.

His quote "No lesson is ever perfect. The lesson you teach and the one you plan are always different" is something countless educators have told me. It's probably the number one piece of advice I get most often. It reinforces the rule that all kids learn differently and that means I have to teach them different if need be. He explains to not expect the students to be perfect, and to realize our job is to keep trying to teach and encourage. Mr. McClung has a powerful last statement "never stop learning." I could not imagine anyone saying that they didn't want to learn anymore! Could you imagine how boring classrooms would be if the teacher wasn't willing to change, and improve? I know I can't.

2 comments:

  1. "I could not imagine anyone saying that they didn't want to learn anymore! " This is far too common. You will have students that have no desire to learn. I have them also. And you will work with teachers that do not want to learn any more. They exist in practically every school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    I feel the same way about student teaching and my first year of teaching. I can also be very shy around people I don't know, which will not make that situation better. It is a little scary to think of, so the first thing I did was read about his first year of teaching too. I have already learned by working at a daycare for four years that even if you plan like crazy it does not always go as planned. We never know what the day holds so it is better to be overly prepared than the students have nothing to do.

    ReplyDelete