Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blog post #7

Randy Pausch: The Last Lecture

Randy Pausch and familyEven though I stumbled upon this video in the first week of class and found myself being very emotional watching it, the second time wasn't much better. Stories like his always makes me think about how I would act given his situation. It's amazing to me that he is so positive after learning he has only 3 months to live. Randy Pausch is motivational speaker and a awesome educator. His ideas, and the things he has accomplished speaks volumes about the type person he was.

One of his main focuses is making your childhood dreams come true. Not many people get the chance to or have the drive to make those dreams come to life. He says that road blocks are not there to keep us out, but there to make us work harder. I can relate to this in that I feel I have had many road blocks keeping from finishing school due to other responsibilities. I feel it's extremely important to push the people you care about to keep going and not give up. It's something that I will always strive to do with my future student to help them succeed.

Randy Pausch had many talents that he used in his life. He was an athlete who loved football, worked at Disney, and was a professor. He always used his talents and interests in things that were worthwhile. Randy gives us the advise to always be motivating, and have fun no matter the situation. Always to show dedication to your work and never give up no matter how many times you are told no.

This advise applies to everyone, but in his case it was to his children for after he is gone. This advise also applies to me as this is the advise I want to teach my students. I want to show a desire to learn no matter how many times they are put down.  To always be honest and simply be the best they can.  Randy Pausch is such an inspiration to me, and I can see why so many people cared for him.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I also applaude his composure on how much time he had to live. Not many people can say they would act the same. He was a great teacher and with this video he will continue for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "This advise applies to everyone,..." advice, not advise

    The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher.

    Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete