Friday, March 29, 2013

Blog Post # 10




Cartoon, I'm a papermate I cost less, but break all the time.  I'm a Ticonderoga I'm the most expensive purchase a hipster will ever make.

John T. Spencer's cartoon is basically saying that the papermate is related to a PC, and the Ticonderoga ( I had to look this one up!) is related to a Mac. In other words the Mac is the better of the two. PC's are cheaper than a Mac and are mostly for people that don't use computers a lot. Mac's are awesome for people in education or any other profession because there's so much more you can do on them! It's almost like he made the older man the papermate, and the younger the faster, newer Mac on purpose!

 John Spencer wrote a post about a conversation between a principle and a teacher named Tom. The principle was very clearly against any type of games being played by the students whether it be educational or not. The principle wasn't into integrating the use of technology in with the curriculum at all, and he is pretty set in his ways. I feel although Tom was told not to use the games, he was still trying to figure out how to incorporate it in his work. I feel like many people are set in their ways and are wary of things like computer games because they feel it's ineffective.

In this post Spencer tells his students about a trip he went on called a "pencil quest." He compared these quests to be like moving text books, and at the time he thought this was the best thing ever! Moving ahead to present time, he can't help but be embarrassed! This made wonder, like he did too about how it will be in 20 years. What new thing will there be? I can't all the things we will have available our use in education. It's very exciting!


The word sarcasm

Scott McLeod is super sarcastic, and I like it! I can't believe people didn't see this right away as sarcasm. He's simply explaining what would happen if you don't allow your children learn technology. The children that are around technology and grow along with it will always be ahead of the other students. I agree that children need to be monitored, but there are ways to make it safe. With my kids they each have a symbaloo page to themselves with educational sites geared to their age levels.

They love the new stuff I find everyday and a lot of the time they share with their friends. They are simply not allowed to click off their game to another site even though we have parental controls on. It seems like Scott McLeod knows his stuff too. He's one of the nation's leading academic experts in K-12 technology issues. He has many awards for his work in technology.




4 comments:

  1. Hey Rebecca!
    I am also in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class!
    For blog post 10, you did a mush better job of explaining the cartoon than I did. I had to research a little before I understood it. I also love the sarcasm picture because Scott is a very sarcastic individual.
    Don't forget to stay on time! Keep up the good work and good luck!

    Shelby Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Symbaloo. Nice.

    You got them both: metaphor and sarcasm.

    Papermate is a metaphor for a PC. Ticonderoga is a metaphor for a Mac. The cartoon characters resemble the stars of the long series (66 over 4 years) of Apple ads starring John Hodgman as PC and Justin Long as Mac.

    In other writings Spencer uses pencils as a metaphor for computers or technology in general.

    Dr. McLeod's uses satire and his sarcastic message is: you can try to keep your kids away from technology which is fine with me. Mine will use it and speed past your kids in skills, abilities and rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rebecca, I enjoyed reading your post this week. You might want to start proof reading your blog before you post it next time because you forgot to put in some words and I got a little confused a couple of times. I agree with you about McLeod's sarcasm, I loved it too. Have a good rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Rebecca! It took me a few sentences, but I finally caught on to the metaphors and sarcasm of Scott McLeod. I thought the article was great! I like how all of the assignments we are given challenge us to think and grow.

    ReplyDelete